From the powerful rock vocals of Jim Morrison and Robert Plant, to the emotive performances of Chris Cornell and Brandon Flowers, I hope you enjoy my personal list of the best male singers with long hair!
Top Male Singers with Long Hair
Let’s begin with Jim Morrison, shall we?
Jim Morrison was a published poet before he became a singer and wrote poetry throughout his life. His deep, raspy voice and intense performances made him a worthy addition to the list of notable singers. His music is often described as dark and brooding, with lyrics that are both poetic and thought-provoking. He was known for his controversial and provocative stage performances, and his untimely death at a young age added to his legend.
- My favorite song by Jim Morrison (The Doors) is “people are strange”. I think it evokes some very characteristically human emotions and I haven’t heard another song that sounds anything like it.
Freddie Mercury is a singer who is remembered for his exceptional vocal range, flamboyant stage presence, and charismatic personality. His powerful and emotive voice, combined with his unique style, made him a can’t miss addition to this list.
His music with Queen is diverse, ranging from hard rock to ballads, and his live performances were legendary, such as the iconic Live Aid performance in 1985 (depicted in the Bohemian Rhapsody movie). His
music, image, style, and personality have left a mark on the music industry and pop culture, paving new ground in the genre of rock music.
- My favorite Freddie Mercury song, like so many others, is Bohemian Rhapsody. It is one of the coolest, most unique songs I’ve ever heard, and I don’t think we’ll ever hear something else like it.
Robert Plant is a singer known for his powerful and distinctive voice, as well as his stage presence. He helped to establish Led Zeppelin as one of the most influential rock bands of all time. Robert’s vocal range, emotive style and ability to convey intense emotion through his singing made him a worthy addition to this list. Plant’s contributions to Led Zeppelin’s unique blend of blues, folk and rock music has earned him a place in the pantheon of rock legends.
- My favorite Robert Plant (Led Zeppelin) song is “Since I’ve Been Loving You.”It has an intriguing sexiness, with very cool guitar riffs and a nice chill vibe.
Axl Rose (Guns N’ Roses)
Axl Rose is the lead singer of Guns N’ Roses and is known for his powerful and distinctive voice. Axl helped establish the band as one of the most successful and iconic rock bands of the 1980s and 1990s. His contributions to Guns N’ Roses’ unique blend of rock, metal, and punk have earned him a place on many people’s list of all-time greats.
- My favorite song by Guns N’ Roses, which was created through a random, throw away guitar riff, is “Sweet Child O’ Mine, like so many others. It is one of the best karaoke or car singalong songs that exists and brings along feelings of joy. It also reminds me of one of my favorite movie scenes ever in Step Brothers.
Steven Tyler (Aerosmith)
Steven Tyler is a singer known for his powerful and distinctive voice, as well as his charismatic performance. As the lead singer of Aerosmith, he helped establish the band as one of the most successful and iconic rock bands of the 1970s and 1980s. Steven Tyler was known for an androgenous sex appeal and his incredible vocal range.
- My favorite Steven Tyler (Aerosmith) song is “I don’t want to miss a thing”. It pulls emotion from deep within the listener: it makes you think about how valuable all the individual seconds in your life are. It is also a top-notch singalong song for those long car rides.
Bruce Dickinson (Iron Maiden)
Bruce Dickinson, lead singer of Iron Maiden, helped establish the band as one of the most successful and iconic heavy metal bands of the 1980s. His vocal range and ability to convey intense emotion through his singing made him a can’t miss on this list.
Bruce is widely considered as one of the greatest rock singers of all time. Dickinson is also a trained pilot and has flown Iron Maiden’s tour plane during some of their tours.
- My favorite Iron Maiden Song is “The Trooper”. I find it effective at conveying anger and angst in your life. It’s great for the gym and great for rocking out, as well.
Ozzy Osbourne (Black Sabbath)
Ozzy Osbourne, the lead singer of Black Sabbath and later as a solo artist, established himself as one of the most iconic and influential figures in the heavy metal and hard rock genre. He was known for his charismatic stage presence, his wild antics and his contributions to Black Sabbath and his solo career that followed. Ozzy was also known as the “Prince of Darkness” because of his dark and eerie stage presence.
- My favorite Ozzy Osbourne (Black Sabbath) song is “Into the Void.” It has a wonderful way of making you feel like a badass and that song and the whole “Master of Reality” album have some really quality lyrics in them.
Bono the leader singer of U2, is known for his powerful and distinctive voice. Some of his most memorable albums include “The Joshua Tree” and “Achtung Baby” which feature hit songs such as “With or Without You” and “One” which were staples for all elementary school kids when I was young.
Bono’s contributions to U2’s unique blend of rock, post-punk, and electronic music has earned him a place on this list. He is also known for his humanitarian and philanthropic work, particularly in the areas of poverty, disease, and Third World debt relief.
- My favorite U2 song is “With or Without You”. That song makes me feel like I can help Bono cure diseases and take on the world with my family and friends.
David Bowie was a singer, songwriter, actor, and record producer. Bowie’s ability to reinvent himself and his constant experimentation with different musical styles, fashion, and personas, made him one of the most iconic figures in the history of popular music.
He was known for his flamboyant stage presence, his androgynous fashion sense and was trained in mime and stage acting and used those skills in his early stage performances.
- My favorite David Bowie song is “Lazarus”: I find it incredibly interesting that he and powerful that he wrote that song in the depths of his battle with cancer and it pulls all sort of emotion from you if you listen to it.
Prince was a singer, songwriter, musician and record producer, known for his powerful and distinctive voice, as well as his unmatched stage presence. Prince’s ability to blend various genres of music like rock, funk, R&B, and pop, made him one of the most unique and important figures in the history
of popular music. You may not know this, but Prince was a Jehovah’s Witness and was known to knock on people’s doors to spread the word of the religion.
- My favorite Prince song is “When Doves Cry”. A song with deep meaning behind it’s lyrics, listening to “when doves cry” leaves me feeling emotional and raw, while also keeping me singing and dancing.
Mick Jagger (The Rolling Stones)
Mick Jagger is a singer, songwriter, actor, and record producer. He was known for his charismatic stage presence and his contributions to The Rolling Stones’ unique blend of rock, blues, and R&B cemented the band as one of the greatest of all time.
Mick has a signature dance style, with his moves mimicked by many. He continues to tour and perform with the band to this day, making him one of the most enduring figures in rock music.
- My favorite Rolling Stones song is “Gimme Shelter”, which song has featured in iconic movies such Goodfellas and the Departed. This song is a classic and reminds me of Saturdays with my father, but also comments on the animalistic nature of life in a catchy and thought-provoking manner.
Eddie Vedder (Pearl Jam)
Eddie Vedder is a singer, songwriter, musician and record producer and the lead singer of Pearl Jam. Vedder’s music and image have left a mark on the music industry and pop culture, paving new ground in the genre of alternative rock.
He is also known for his powerful and politically charged lyrics, which often address social and political issues, such as the song “Jeremy“. He continues to tour and perform with the band to this day, making him one of the most enduring figures in rock music.
- My favorite Pearl Jam song is “Last Kiss”. I used to love singing it as a child, but getting older you realize how sad and emotionally raw the song is, which I think always makes for amazing music.
Chris Cornell was a singer, songwriter, musician and record producer, known for his powerful singing style, with a voice that could go from a guttural growl to a soaring falsetto. His contributions to Soundgarden and Audioslave’s unique blend of rock, alternative, and grunge has earned him a place among rock legends. He tragically passed away in 2017, leaving behind a legacy of music that continues to influence generations of artists.
- My favorite songs from Chris Cornell (because I can’t just choose one) include “Black Hole Sun,” which is an amazing sing along song with guttural singing you can feel in your gut. I also enjoy Audioslave’s “I Am the Highway,” which is a ballad for the ages with loads of emotion behind it.
Brandon Flowers (The Killers)
Brandon Flowers, lead singer of the Killers, is a singer, songwriter, musician and record producer. The Killers were extremely popular during the 2000s (my formative years), with seemingly a chart-topping hit debuting weekly. Flowers continues to tour and perform with the band to this day, making him one of the most enduring figures in rock music.
- My favorite Killer’s song is “Somebody Told Me”. This is a great concert song, a great singalong song and has some of the most memorable lyrics and best music I can remember.
Harry Styles is the final member to join our list of male singers with long hair. And ironically enough, he’s also member of the famed English boyband One Direction. On top of that, he’s a singer, songwriter, musician, record producer, and actor.
His androgynous style, coupled with his incredible singing abilities and charm, allows him to be one of the more beloved pop singers working together. Harry’s mixture of pop, classical and 70s sound make him a favorite of young people all over the world.
- My favorite song by Harry Styles is “Keep Driving”. The songs last verse speeds up into something new and exciting, evoking feelings of joy, nostalgia and fun all the way throughout.
You May Also Like: